After getting hooked up with an Aqua-bound Sting Ray Carbon paddle and a PFD I was ready for my first paddle. I headed to Lake Laurentian Conservation area.
There is no motorized boat traffic allowed on the lake and it is located only 10 minutes from downtown Sudbury. There is a nice beach to launch your kayak.
The boat was nowhere near as tippy as I was expecting. I was really comfortable in the boat and I was able to tour the circumferance of the lake in about 3 hours. A lot of questions were raised in my mind:
- Where should my hands be placed on the paddle?
- How far should the paddle blade extend into the water?
- What angle should I paddle at?
- Why do I always seem to glide to the left when I stop paddling?
- How should I adjust the seat and thigh braces for optimum comfort?
Irregardless I immediately loved the sport. There was just something so serene and peaceful about being by myself out on the lake. No traffic and no noise except for the wildlife.