Tuesday 18 June 2013

Time to Paddle!


After getting hooked up with an Aqua-bound Sting Ray Carbon paddle  and a PFD I was ready for my first paddle.  I headed to Lake Laurentian Conservation area.

Sting Ray Carbon Touring Kayak Paddle


 http://www.northernlife.ca/uploadedImages/news/localNews/2011/11/051111_ap_Laurentian_Lake_Sign(1).jpg

















There is no motorized boat traffic allowed on the lake and it is located only 10 minutes from downtown Sudbury.  There is a nice beach to launch your kayak.

The boat was nowhere near as tippy as I was expecting.  I was really comfortable in the boat and I was able to tour the circumferance of the lake in about 3 hours.  A lot of questions were raised in my mind:

  • Where should my hands be placed on the paddle?
  • How far should the paddle blade extend into the water?
  • What angle should I paddle at?
  • Why do I always seem to glide to the left when I stop paddling?
  • How should I adjust the seat and thigh braces for optimum comfort?

Irregardless I immediately loved the sport.  There was just something so serene and peaceful about being by myself out on the lake.  No traffic and no noise except for the wildlife.  





















No comments:

Post a Comment